This lesson made me understand how much I know and how much I don’t know. I was pleasantly surprised at how rapidly I found the paint chips to match my examples. But it was an exercise of the brain to actually mix some of the colors, and then create the complement. I made sure I took my time with each exercise. Some I had to mix twice or “patch” in with new squares, when I realized the true hue of the chip. I’m understanding the progression of the lessons. I never could have begun with this exercise and felt success.
I also took time to dye some swatches. I have not worked with ProChem dyes, so this was a perfect opportunity to see how they work. I liked the results, although I have bubbles in my swatches. I used flat trays but there must have been some bubbles in the fabric when I laid it in the tray. I do feel that I achieved pure colors, using Jane’s formulas. It is a good beginning.
The most enlightening realization from this exercise was when I began doing my painting, I was getting colors that were already in the fabric or quilt. So… someone had already worked on the tenets we are being taught. This was a wonderful lesson.