I used purple and yellow. The tints are beautiful but I find the shades and tones to be the most interesting. Of my four collages, the most successful are combinations with muted colors made by adding gray. I saw a small quilt installation at a gallery on First Friday in Kansas City last weekend. A very striking piece was made by silk screening a large circle on a plain muslin background. Very simple but very powerful. So I tried a collage of only 2 pieces making a circle on a muted background, which worked well, I think. This was a fun exercise. I like working with paper, it doesn’t have to be machine quilted…:-)
I’ve done two sets of Collages - Red-Orange to Blue-Green and Red-Violet to Yellow Green. I found it more difficult to paint the papers with dyes than paints because the dye sinks into the paper very quickly so it’s harder to scuff! Also I somehow felt that I ended up with less different values with the dyes than with the paints. Anyway here they are. The photos are not great - I couldn’t get rid of the shadows. The collages had curled up quite a bit and I put them under a pile of heavy books overnight which seemed to straighten them out and then they almost immediately curled up again! I still find it quite hard to make myself concentrate on value - I get seduced by the colours.
I’ve now finished painting all the complementary pairs. I’ve re-done the red to green because I wasn’t very happy with the first one. Here are the three new ones, Red-Orange to Blue-Green, Red to Green and Red-Violet to Yellow-Green, both in chips and ‘scuffed’. They were fun to do and it was wonderful to see the intermediary colours appearing.